Part II: So You Have an Interview…Now What?
The finish line is in sight–you’ve submitted your application, received a Kira video interview and now you’ve been invited to the last step, an in-person, Skype or telephone interview with a member of the admissions team.
Less formal than the other stages of the application process, the final interview round gives our admissions team the opportunity to get to know you a little better. Essentially, we are assessing for “fit” to ensure we are building a collaborative, diverse and engaging cohort of MBA students. The interview typically lasts 30 to 60 minutes and in some instances, more than one interviewer may take part.
Like the Kira interview, interviewees can expect a selection of behavioural questions. In addition, our admissions team may ask questions to clarify components of your application, such as your career goals or reasons for choosing the Alberta MBA. After we have asked our questions, the interviewee is encouraged to ask any questions they may have.
How can you best prepare for the final interview stage? The tips from our previous post (Part I: So You Have an Interview, Now What?) are helpful, especially if you are taking part in a Skype or telephone interview. Regardless of how you will be completing your interview, we have a few additional points to share:
- Punctuality: Your interviewer may schedule multiple back-to-back interviews in a day, which is why it’s important that your interview starts and finishes on time. If your interview is in person, we recommend arriving 10 minutes prior to your interview time. Our campus is very big, so researching the location of the Alberta School of Business building and the time it takes to get there can alleviate a lot of stress when commuting to your interview.
- Come prepared: Practicing Situation, Action and Result answers to behavioural questions with a friend or family member can definitely give you a boost of confidence before an interview. We like it when you come with questions prepared for us too. You should be evaluating our program for fit just as much as we are evaluating you for fit within our incoming class.
- Dress the part: Treat the final interview like a job interview and dress accordingly. Even if you have a phone interview, dressing professionally can help you getting into the interview mindset!
- More than words: If your interview is in-person, a firm handshake, open body language, sitting up straight and making eye contact can go a long way in demonstrating your calmness and confidence in an interview.
- Be yourself: At this stage, we already know a lot about your accomplishments and academic credentials from the Kira interview and application package. This interview gives you the opportunity to show us your unique personality and what you will bring to the incoming class. Feel free to talk about your passions, hobbies and what excites you!
Once the interview is complete, the admissions committee meets again to discuss your performance in the interview, along with your application package and the preliminary Kira interview. Once an admission decision by the Alberta Master’s Programs Office and if you are admitted, the application is sent to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research for final approval. You can login to the application portal to check the status of your application at any time. Within a few weeks, the Faculty of Graduate Studies should be in contact with you via an emailed letter to your UAlberta account confirming your admission. Afterwards, you can expect another letter via email from our Masters Programs Office welcoming you to the program and outlining confirmation deposit details and any entrance awards granted.
If your application is unsuccessful this time around, you will receive notification via email and you can see this status in the application portal too. We encourage you to follow up with us if you’d like feedback on how to improve your application for next time.
Keep in mind that admissions to an MBA program is very competitive. We sincerely appreciate each applicant taking the time to complete the application process and we look forward to the opportunity to meet you!
For more information on the Alberta MBA please click here.